Benefits of Massage Therapy for Stress, Anxiety and Depression
Stress taking hold of you?
Is insomnia stealing your sleep?
Sore muscles affecting your work?
Anxiety and depression impacting your life?
Once considered an alternative approach, massage therapy is now much more mainstream and growing in popularity. This form of therapy involves hands-on techniques to increase circulation, relieve tension, reduce stress, relieve anxiety, improve sleep, decrease depression and promote relaxation throughout the entire body, as well as many other benefits.
Massage is no longer considered a luxury but is used by many of our guests as a panacea for the changes in our society that leads to increased stress and depression, it was one of the first treatments available for depression. With depression and so many related disorders on the rise and affecting so many people in our society these days; we have decided to give you some insight on how our services at Evolve Day Spa can assist you in dealing with these conditions that grip our lives and render us useless or in a dark hole we feel we feel we cannot climb out of.
The benefits of massage go so much deeper than just the touch; there is not only an unspoken level of communication between therapist and client but each of our clients four senses are engaged when having a treatment – not to mention all the physiological benefits and the special relationship that develops between our clients and ourselves.
Here are some of the physiological and psychological benefits of massage therapy.
- It Is Relaxing – When the body is tense and under stress, it produces unhealthy levels of the well-known stress hormone, cortisol, which can contribute to weight gain, sleeplessness, digestive problems, and headaches. Massage therapy has been shown to decrease cortisol levels in the body.
- It Reduces Stress – Not only can massage therapy help with stress relief, but regular massage sessions over a prolonged period of time can boost energy levels, reduce pain, and stimulate individuals on physical as well as emotional levels.
- It soothes anxiety and depression – One of the first treatments available for depression, massage therapy aids in the release of the hormone oxytocin (the love hormone). Numerous studies have shown that patients who were depressed and anxious were much more relaxed, happy and had reduced stress levels after the massage.
- It improves sleep
Not only can massage encourage a restful sleep-it also helps those who can’t otherwise comfortably rest. “Massage promotes relaxation and sleep in those undergoing chemo or radiation therapy,” says Lisa Marie de Miranda, registered massage therapist and kinesiologist at Paleo life Massage Therapy. Also, massages help infants sleep more, cry less and be less stressed, according to research from the University of Warwick.
- It Can Help Lower Blood Pressure – Regular massage therapy sessions have been found to reduce blood pressure levels. In fact, some long-term studies have shown that a consistent massage program can reduce both systolic (upper number) and diastolic (lower number) blood pressure.
- It Promotes Muscle Relaxation – The purpose of massage therapy is to target the source of the body’s pain via eliminating tense muscles, increasing flexibility, and providing relaxation to the affected muscles as well as the body as a whole. Massage also promotes circulation to the affected or injured muscles, which increases nutrients and oxygen to the damaged tissues
- It Can Help Improve Circulation –Improved circulation is part of a snowball effect that occurs in the body as a result of receiving regular massage therapy on a consistent basis. This is because proper circulation brings damaged, stiff, and tense muscles the rich blood supply they need to promote healing. Massage also promotes improved circulation via the use of hands-on pressure, which moves the blood through the damaged and congested areas of the body.
- It Can Help Improve Posture – Many Americans experience back, neck, and muscle pain from a variety of sources. However, the primary cause of this pain results from poor posture. In fact, chronic back pain, which is the number one reason for missed work days and second most common cause of disability, is often the result of incorrect or poor posture while standing and/or sitting. Massage therapy can help get the body back into proper alignment. In fact, improving one’s posture can be one of the most beneficial and relaxing aspects of massage therapy.
- It Can Help Strengthen the Body’s Immune System – Regular massage sessions provide many benefits to the human body. It is a well-known fact that individuals who experience high levels of stress are more vulnerable to illness and injury. When stress is combined with sleep disturbances and poor nutrition, the impact is directed at the body’s immune system. Its ability to naturally protect itself against infections, pathogens, and bacteria is greatly reduced. Some might wonder how massage therapy benefits the immune system. Studies have indicated that regular massage sessions not only help reduce stress but can also boost the immune system’s cytotoxic capacity (activity level of the body’s natural “killer cells”) and enhances the body’s ability to deliver nourishment.
Massage has been used for hundreds of years to soothe, heal and nurture. It has become a mainstream treatment and there are various different types. At Evolve we offer the following;
- Swedish Massage – Classical pressure variable massage technique
- Lomi Lomi Massage – A Hawaiian influenced treatment using dancing movement focusing on the back of the body.
- Hot Stone Massage – Full body massage using the heat from basalt stones with the additional aromatic oils used in this treatment will truly illuminate tension from every muscle in your body.
- Xfit Recovery Massage – This sports style massage provides excellent recovery assistance for CrossFit or any other athletes.
- Deep Tissue Massage – Similar to Swedish but the deeper pressure is beneficial in releasing chronic muscle tension
- Aromatic Massage – With a unique and specialized blend of oils to nourish and repair the skin in different ways, these specialized massages have a positive effect on mind and body.
- Foot Massage – A heavenly foot and lower leg massage with an anti-aging and anti-oxidant rich butter.
- Scalp Massage – We carry an incredible amount of stress and tension in our head and face and this is a perfect way to relieve the pressure.
During the eighteen years that I have been involved in the spa industry; massage has changed so much. We as massage therapists have developed not only our techniques but our intuition. Many different massage techniques have been learned through interaction with different cultures and training of the people we have worked with when traveling around the globe. Our massages are so much more effective now and really offer an insurmountable amount of value to our guests as we really understand the problems know and we can get to the root of the issue by using the various techniques we have learned.
So if you need to feel the benefits of a really effective message; come to Evolve Day Spa. We have 2 beautiful properties, conveniently located in Boksburg and Kempton Park.
With amazing promotions avaiable all the time and incredibly talented therapists to deliver and amazing service. You’ll never be sorry you booked.
Call our 0118946224 or 0761928505 or email reception
Looking forward to welcoming you to our spa.